Photo Friday ~ Brewer the Beaver!

Last weekend my husband and I took the dogs with us for a small trip to the shore. Saturday morning we went to a local dock where you can crab and fish off of one side of the dock and swim on the other. Our Clicker Savvy Canine Brewer LOVES the water. Absolutely can’t get enough of it. He will swim till he can’t swim anymore (which is why he now has a life jacket). His brother Bailey on the other hand has never had the opportunity to be in water deep enough for him to actually swim, and it showed. Here are a few pictures of our trip to the dock. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to snap a picture of Baileys first/last time in the water for the day, but I got plenty of Brewer. Doesn’t he look like a beaver swimming in the water!

Brewer swimming out to retrieve his toy!

He loves doing this and will do it for hours on end!

Bringing the toy back to mom so she can throw it again.

Taking a mini breather before going for round 2!

Bailey taking a break after his first and last time in the water.

Valentine’s Day Pet Safety Tips

Hello Everyone! Long time no posts I know. Shame shame. It’s been a hectic couple of months with all of the holidays and the start of a New Year. Can you believe it’s February already? Sheesh…I hope this isn’t a precursor for how quickly 2012 is going to go.

That being said, I was asked to write a short entry for the Mutts Matter Rescue Newsletter and I chose the topic of Pet Safety and Valentines Day.

Valentine’s Day is a holiday full of love and joy, but if you’re not careful it can also include a trip to a local vet hospital. This Lover’s Holiday can be full of potential hazards to your four-legged family members. Foods, flowers, gift wraps and candles can pose a threat to your pets well-being.

Many of you will receive chocolate on Valentine’s Day, but remember that chocolate is toxic to pets. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it becomes and the more serious adverse reactions it can cause. Large amounts of chocolate can cause severe sickness or even death so please make sure to keep it up and out of the reach of your pets.

Flowers, such as lilies, can be toxic to cats. Roses can also be dangerous for dogs or cats. If a pet were to bite, step on, or swallow a stem they would be at risk of being punctured by the thorns. Similarly, giftwraps such as cellophane, ribbons, bows, and balloons can be a choking hazard if your pet tries to consume it.

Candles are also a big part of celebrating Valentine’s Day. If eaten, the wax can cause upset stomachs, vomiting, diarrhea and choking. Don’t forget to keep lit candles up and out of the reach of your pets, we don’t want them to catch their happily wagging tails on fire! Also be sure to blow out candles before leaving your home or turning in for the night.

Last but not least, don’t forget to enjoy your holiday with your pet! Provide them with delicious pet friendly treats or a Valentine’s Day themed toy to keep them occupied while you are entertaining your guest(s).

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Christmas Trees & Puppy Dog Tails

Why hello everyone!!

I know it’s been a while since I posted last, and I apologize, but these past few weeks have been a bit busy. Of course everyone knows it’s the holiday season, and that means lots of shopping, decorating, and being merry. But how many of you DREAD LOVE the holiday season for the simple reason that your dogs/cats tend to want to destroy enjoy everything you put together!

Brewer and Bailey getting in the Christmas Spirit!

We’ve been lucky at the Clicker Savvy Canine (CSC) household to have 2 dogs that tend to ignore most of the holiday decorations (yippee). However, I’m pretty sure that many of you aren’t as lucky. take for examples, the Christmas tree. In the CSC household we have opted to go with the “fake” Christmas tree decor. One main reason is because it’s easier (we don’t have to water the tree or vacuum needles off the floor daily) but also because we have a lesser chance of our dogs reacting or interacting with the decor. SURE the smell of a pine or spruce tree is FANTASTIC to the human nose, but guess what?!?! It is also EXTRA fantastic to the dog’s nose as well. Some… in fact a lot of dogs can’t resist it! They tend to pee on, chew on, and want to scratch their backs on the real trees more than what they would a fake tree. Can we blame them? NO! It is a natural thing for dogs to do!! What we CAN do is… prevent it!

Of course the easiest things to do with a real tree is to prevent a dog from having access to the tree all together! I mean, honestly do you want to spend however much $$ just to train your dog to stay away from the Christmas tree for 4-5 weeks out of the year? NO! Of course not that is ridiculous! So why not set your dog up to succeed from the get-go and prevent it!

You know those baby/puppy gates that you had when the puppy was young? Those are the perfect way to prevent your dog from getting to the tree! OR you could prop your tree (if you choose a smaller variety) up on a table to prevent your dog from access to it. Even better you can put your tree in a room that your dog doesn’t have access to at all!

If your lucky, and your dog isn’t a “tree eater” or “tree pee’r” then you’ve got a few more options. If he doesn’t seem to care about the tree, but tends to bump into it with excitement and knock ornaments off with his tail, then you can hang your most expensive & breakable ornaments about 2-3 feet above the reach of a dog’s tail (the same thing many parents do to keep their 2 yr old out of trouble). How easy is that? Not sure if you see it in the picture below,  but that is pretty much what we have done with our tree at casa del CSC. We have moved all of our ornaments above the range of our dog Brewers tail wag (Bailey our boxer only has a nub so that’s not an issue) Piece of cake, right??

Don’t get me wrong, there ARE ways of training a dog not to mess with/interact with your Christmas tree or other decorations, but honestly who wants to spend money or time on something that only happens once a year for a few weeks at the max. When it comes to situations like this. Even a trainer will tell you prevention or management is key!

Happy Holidays! Love,