Valentine’s Day Pet Safety Tips

Hello Everyone! Long time no posts I know. Shame shame. It’s been a hectic couple of months with all of the holidays and the start of a New Year. Can you believe it’s February already? Sheesh…I hope this isn’t a precursor for how quickly 2012 is going to go.

That being said, I was asked to write a short entry for the Mutts Matter Rescue Newsletter and I chose the topic of Pet Safety and Valentines Day.

Valentine’s Day is a holiday full of love and joy, but if you’re not careful it can also include a trip to a local vet hospital. This Lover’s Holiday can be full of potential hazards to your four-legged family members. Foods, flowers, gift wraps and candles can pose a threat to your pets well-being.

Many of you will receive chocolate on Valentine’s Day, but remember that chocolate is toxic to pets. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it becomes and the more serious adverse reactions it can cause. Large amounts of chocolate can cause severe sickness or even death so please make sure to keep it up and out of the reach of your pets.

Flowers, such as lilies, can be toxic to cats. Roses can also be dangerous for dogs or cats. If a pet were to bite, step on, or swallow a stem they would be at risk of being punctured by the thorns. Similarly, giftwraps such as cellophane, ribbons, bows, and balloons can be a choking hazard if your pet tries to consume it.

Candles are also a big part of celebrating Valentine’s Day. If eaten, the wax can cause upset stomachs, vomiting, diarrhea and choking. Don’t forget to keep lit candles up and out of the reach of your pets, we don’t want them to catch their happily wagging tails on fire! Also be sure to blow out candles before leaving your home or turning in for the night.

Last but not least, don’t forget to enjoy your holiday with your pet! Provide them with delicious pet friendly treats or a Valentine’s Day themed toy to keep them occupied while you are entertaining your guest(s).

Happy Valentine’s Day!